Re: [Denemo-devel] libDenemo

From: ben
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] libDenemo
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 21:51:49 +0100

Nils Gey a écrit :
Hi list,

I just remembered a talk from a while back about the GUI of Denemo and
different interfaces. Just now I had a talk in #denemo about Denemo on MacOS
which needs X11 and is clumsy. I rememberd that Ardour tried to get rid of X11
in MacOS, too. And there was this small discussion about Denemo on a
NintendoDS, as Notepad for Notation.

Many (open source) apps are diveded in frontend and backend. Of course for a notation-editor this makes no primary sense because having a GUI is a central point. But even here it would have some benefits like having special GUIs for different purposes which are more then just command-sets. Linuxsampler for example has a QT and a JAVA GUI, Ardour has a stripped-down GUI for educational use.
Even on a command line you could do batch-conversion or other Denemo-tasks
which don't need a GUI.

To come to the core of this:

Do you think it would be a benefit to change Denemo to a Backend/Frontend
architecture?

Nils

definitely yes!
that could be separated into:
- libdenemo: shared object for non-ui stuff
- libdenemo-ui: for the score widget
- denemo[-gtk]: the acutal program that would depend on the 2 libs.

- ben