Re: [Denemo-devel] Does Denemo open third-party lilypond files?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Does Denemo open third-party lilypond files?
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:51:30 +0000

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 22:14 -0800, Ken Klaser wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 08:38 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 21:40 -0800, Ken Klaser wrote:
> > > One question: Should Denemo 0.8.2, installed from tar.gz (not a .deb
> > > file), running on Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 "Lenny", open an already made
> > > Lilypond file such as those published by mutopiaproject.org?
>
> > It often does not succeed on .ly files from elsewhere. If there are a
> > lot of notes it might be worth cutting and pasting them into a file that
> > denemo can read.
>
> That works around the issue!
Yes, it is also part of a route that I think might be good. The next
step would be a direct paste from a piece of LilyPond text into a denemo
score: you would pick up chunks of notes ( a8 b' c ....) and paste them
into Denemo, saving typing.
The point being that a general LilyPond parse is probably too ambitious
for the next few years.

> > Denemo does actually manage to open the example you give, but as it
> > doesn't understand the \relative command the notes are generally in the
> > wrong octave.
>
> It wouldn't open on my system, with 0.8.2 the following message results:
> "Load of file [directory snipped] bach-invention-01.ly failed".

That is curious - although I am using 0.8.3 there have been no changes
to the lilypond parser (it is not being actively worked on). What is
anyway the case is that by deleting stuff from the file you would be
able to get the bulk of the music into denemo. But in the case of this
file - using \relative - the octavation would keep going wrong, so it
may not be worth the effort. (I mentioned that the rhythm gets captured
correctly and that you could use MIDI in to overlay the pitches: I
didn't mention that you can use acoustic microphone in, or the line out
from an electronic keyboard as well for that).

Richard