Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo-polish translation

From: Piotr Komorowski
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo-polish translation
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 14:14:32 +0200

Dnia 9-07-2009 o godz. 5:30 Jeremiah Benham napisał(a):
> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 01:06:20PM +0200, Piotr Komorowski wrote:
> > Hello all!
> > First of all I would like to thank you for great software. I've used
> > denemo for some time and I think it can be very useful in not so
> > complicated notation tasks, and can be ideal tool for many  musicians in
> > future.
> >  I decided to translate it into my native language - now I can run denemo
> > in polish on my Kubuntu 8.04.
> > What do you think of making denemo localized software? You can do it by
> > joining the gnu translation project at:
> > http://translationproject.org/html/maintainers.html
> > It would be great to have denemo-manual available as a 'pot' file also.
> > I've attached the 'po' file translated into polish to the message I send
> > to you, in the case you would like to use it in future releases.
>
> We are interested in seeing denemo translated. I am clueless as to how
> this stuff works though. I tried reading the docs and it seemed like too
> much at the time. I don't know how to test it to make sure the
> translation works correct.
>
> Thanks for contributing the file.
>
> Jeremiah
>
> > Best wishes,
> > Piotr

Hi,
I'm not a developer but just a member of polish translation team so
unfortunately I'am not able to help you in preparing denemo with gettext
on programmers level. I've been translating several releases of GNU
Solfege package and I'm interested in translating denemo too. AFAIK it's
not so hard  to developers to prepare their package for translation -
please consider the following paragraph from Translation Project site:

"A full explanation of internationalizing a program is given in
www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/Sources.html , but in
short it comes down to the following steps: 1) importing the gettext
functions into all modules that require translations, 2) activating the
localization at the start of your program by binding to a textdomain, 3)
using a macro to mark all translatable strings that are presented to
users (not debugging messages), 4) adding some autoconf and automake
magic so the translatable strings get extracted into a POT file when
'make dist' is run.  "

I think that denemo deserve wider popularity and joining the Translation
Project can help denemo in it.
Please let me know if you decide to join the team.
Regards,
Piotr

Obrzydliwie śmieszna komedia o pukaniu.
Twórcy tego filmu nie boją się puścić bąka
p.s. STARY, KOCHAM CIĘ: zobacz zwiastun
http://klik.wp.pl/?adr=http%3A%2F%2Fcorto.www.wp.pl%2Fas%2Fstarykochamcie.html&sid=789