Re: [Denemo-devel] More script questions and requests

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] More script questions and requests
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:46:45 +0100

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 18:21 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:48:00 +0100
> Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 16:21 +0200, Nils Gey wrote:

GetNoteDuration

> > Let's keep the GetNote* to LilyPond notation, so 4 for quarter etc.
>
> okay. What about the number of dots? So should it look like this for a
> dotted quarter:
>
> 4.
yes

> or should it be a string like
>
> base=4 dots=1 tied=TRUE
I have been leaving things like ties, staccato ... for later as we need
to decide where to draw the line between built-in things and things done
by directives attached to notes. At the moment it is drawn between those
things which people got round to doing before they got daunted by the
unlimited number of such things that could be there and those few things
added for people's (mostly my) immediate needs, like 18th c, trill sign.
If tie will remain a built-in (surely it will) then I would expect we
should go with

(d-Tied?) returning #t or #f

and so on for the (fixed, stable) set of built-in attributes.
Perhaps, I am being to cautious - we can always write wrappers...
The thing to do is to keep an eye on the whole set of (d-...) functions
to make sure that the naming is consistent, as nothing wastes more time
than having slight irregularities in the set of language constructs -
you have to program from memory to do it at all quickly.

Richard