[Denemo-devel] Adding textual notes to denemo music

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Adding textual notes to denemo music
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 19:12:42 +0100

Nils mentioned something in passing: it would be nice to be able to add
comments to a composition in denemo. For example, ideas about how to
develop certain passages, etc.
This sort of facility is useful for transcribers too: making notes of
places where the manuscript is obscure etc. In fact, when making
editions of historical works it is often required to put a critical
appending listing the places where editorial intervention has taken
place.
Well, we actually have most of this ready already - it just needs
scripting. That is, you can add a denemo directive containing the
information that you wish to store.
What is lacking is a multi-line editor for the information callable from
scheme.
Then we can add information at the score level, as well as comments on
individual chords etc, and call up an editor to view & edit the
information at will. And, with a suitable script we could create a list
in the LilyPond of editorial interventions which would reference the
measure & chord which the comment applies to.

The only tricky aspect would be if we wanted to keep the editor open
while being able to edit the denemo. The problem would arise if the
chord that the editor was on was deleted. We do have a field for storing
this editor (the graphic field of the directive) and I think it may
already be the case that deletion of a directive will destroy the
graphic widget (e.g. for the case of directives which show as buttons).

So this proposed text edit widget could be very useful: the main feature
would be that typing in the widget would modify the GString* that it
relates to. (We can do this because the total amount of text is quite
tiny).