Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows audio driver

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows audio driver
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 05:07:35 -0600

On Dec 11, 2009, at 2:47 PM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 14:26 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

On Dec 11, 2009, at 11:32 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden>
wrote:

Nils has reported success getting the internal fluidsynth
synthesizer to
work on Windows. He set the audio driver to portaudio and used a
period
size of 1024.
I have made these the defaults for windows, and checked this in to
git.
I have not been able to test that it works as gub is not building for
me.
What else can be finished off for a new Release?

The device manager is not complete. The things that need done are:

Saving/loading device/port tree to denemorc

Fix output not sending out on anything other then device 0. I have not
found out why. I suspect it has something to do with the initializing
the callback.

Playback issues. Sometimes playback is very smooth other times it is
spitting out notes as if it is trying to catch up.

hbox/vbox layout. In the device manager tab I would like to have the
buttons all to the left and the tree on the right. I guess it is just
a matter of packing in two verticle boxes to put all the buttons and
tree in respectively.
I think this sounds like a reasonable set of things to finish off for a
release. I could do the save to denemorc - what is the structure that
needs to be saved?

device_manager_device
It is defined in line 311 of denemo_types.h. It's stored in device_manager_midi_device[50] in DenemoPrefs.

And I could look at the callback initialization issue if I had the
faintest idea what it was all doing :-) I haven't looked at all at what you have been up to since alex came up with some suggestions which meant nothing to me and I steered him in your direction... If I build for JACK and then try to connect up via qjactl to qsynth will it become obvious?

You have to have Jack selected as audio output in preferences. Then you make sure Jack server is running. Then you will click start/ restart Jack under device manager tab. One device and port created automatically for you. In staff properties choose the created device under the midi tab. Then make sure denemorc is connected to a softsynth in qjackctl. To rename ports you can double click on them in the tree. They can be renamed but for some reason qjackctl does not observe the change. jack_lsp will reflect the change.

Jeremiah

About the layout, yes I think you have the right idea, you just create
hboxes and vboxes placing them inside each other in any combination that suits you to get the layout you want (plus use of the expand and take up
the surplus parameters if you need to apportion the extra space when
resizing).