Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows audio driver

From: alex stone
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows audio driver
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 13:10:30 +0000

Richard,  i see where you're going with this.

The user creates an "industrial grade" preference list of devices and
ports at a global level.
At project level, the user then picks and chooses which ports he
wishes to use per staff, and saves that project. The next time the
project is open it remembers which ports it wants and only uses those,
but at global level, all ports are "running" and available at all
times Denemo is open.

This is not a usual case in my experience (most daws require the user
to create and destroy ports per project), but  keeping an open mind, i
think i like your approach better. It would seem simpler to have all
ports running, and just cherry pick from that at the user's leisure.
The user can setup a global "template" of devices and ports, and
within reason, leave it alone after that, removing at least one layer
of donkey work. For fairly static orchestral setups, using a sampler,
like linuxsampler, where a global template is likely to be used
anyway, it would be fairly quick to add a staff, and assign a port,
with the instrument already loaded and ready to roll.

So you get my vote.
A smart idea, not only structurally, but from a workflow
administrative perspective as well.

Good thinking.

Alex.

--