Re: [Denemo-devel] The 0.8.12 release

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The 0.8.12 release
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 16:40:51 +0000

On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 16:19 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 15:19 +0000, alex stone wrote:
> > Device and port creation is ok, as long as the user remembers that
> > each port must have a number too. Simply giving a port a name didn't
> > work.
> why not? That is: what happens that shouldn't?
> I am not aware of any interpretation of the names remaining in the code,
> but there may be something in there still.

To be specific: I just started denemo with a denemorc starting thus:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Denemo>
  <Config>
    <midi-devices>
      <device client="denemome">
        <ports>
          <port>midi_outa</port>
          <port>midi_outb</port>
          <port>midi_outc</port>
        </ports>
      </device>
      <device client="denemoyou">
        <ports>
          <port>midi_outa</port>
          <port>midi_outb</port>
          <port>midi_outc</port>
        </ports>
      </device>
    </midi-devices>
    <lilypath>lilypond</lilypath>

... and so on
I connected to the second of the devices and the midi_outc port, and
gave the staff that name denemoyou->midi_outc and fluidsynth received
the play data.
I don't think you need numbers in there - I am generating names with
numbers if you create a port or device, but they aren't needed.