Re: [Denemo-devel] The Cairo Roadmap

From: alex stone
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The Cairo Roadmap
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 14:44:04 +0300

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have been thinking about the cairo stuff.
> Short version:
>        I think the next step will be to create a set of scolling drawing
> areas, each similar to the current drawing area, but the first measure
> on each being the one following the last measure on the one above. This
> means that if you have four staffs, but only room to display one, then
> that one appears in the top drawing area and its music continues in the
> next one below and so on.

Are you referring to something like a split screen here, where smaller
systems, i.e.,4 staves, can continue on, in a 'top and bottom' view?
If so, then it's common sense to assume a full score will only ever
occupy a single view, but in the case of writing for SATB, how will
the top and bottom drawing areas fill? Bar by bar, as you cycle
through the measures, or screen/app width, where you reach the right
hand side of the screen, and both top and bottom views redraw with the
bottom moving to the top, and a new set of measures filling the bottom
view? (I would think bar by bar would be useful.)

You might also consider our previous conversation about playback being
centred in the screen. If the same were an option for users, and as
the piece progressed, the view moved bar by as you moved the input
cursor greater than one bar past the centre, then the user might have
a reasonable view of where he's been, and going.

> Terminology:
>        A system: a system is a set of staffs linked together at right and left
> sides - it represents music that is to be played together. E.G. the four
> staffs of a SATB choir piece, or of a string quartet or the large number
> of staffs in an orchestral score. A page may have more than one system
> on it, representing the music in left to right top to bottom order.
>
> Rationale:
>        Denemo is about visualizing the music as you enter/edit it. The current
> visualization allows you only to see a small amount at once. It shows
> just one system. Just making the font size smaller would lead to long
> lines (bad) before you can see much of the music, no matter how wide
> your screen. Just starting the next system below the last system would
> not be a great benefit if there are many staffs in each system, since
> you could not see much of any one part.
>        By giving each system its own drawing area, you can actually do better
> than the printed page in allowing you to visualize the music, despite
> the better resolution of the printed page. So you could choose the
> height of the system drawing area to show as many staffs as you wish,
> and then you would see the music for those parts going down the page.
>
> Richard

Good idea in this context. I would add that a user defined toggle zoom
in and out is highly useful too. (I've used this) So the user might
have a 100% view to work in at close range, and a 70% view to have a
picture of more of the whole piece. i know i favour working like this,
as i'm often mirroring harmony between WW and strings, and end up
jumping back and forth regularly. A toggle zoom out view gives a quick
visual cue of location, and alignment. The user doesn't necessarily
need to see all the noted clearly, just a reasonable overview.

Alex.