Re: [Denemo-devel] Compilation on Ubuntu Karmic

From: Pietro Battiston
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Compilation on Ubuntu Karmic
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:55:51 +0100

Il giorno lun, 15/02/2010 alle 09.08 +0000, Richard Shann ha scritto:
> On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 19:00 +0100, Pietro Battiston wrote:
> > >
> > > This raises an important issue: what executables should distros be
> > > offering from denemo. It seems to me most likely that distros would want
> > > to offer two packages
> > >
> > > denemo
> > >
> > > denemo-jack
> > >
> > > where the second is built with --enable-jack and defaults to expecting a
> > > jack server to be running. (BTW if someone presses play when nothing
> > > will be heard, can we pop up a dialog explaining the situation?)
> > >
> > > I don't understand packaging, so don't over-interpret my comments - but
> > > I notice that quite a few projects have more than one package. If it
> > > means less dependencies for people who aren't going to be using jack,
> > > that could be good. OTOH if it is just a matter of setting the default
> > > to be "use internal synth", and letting people wanting to use JACK set
> > > it up (they have to set up stuff anyway) then could we do that (i.e.
> > > just one package that includes both, but defaults to using the internal
> > > synth).
> >

> > I don't like very much the idea of the double package, in particular
> > because I may want to use pulseaudio sometimes with jack and sometimes
> > without, without reinstalling (notice that the two package would be
> > incompatible if they provided two files at the same path):
> well, that is certainly a clincher: so we will continue to provide one
> package.
>

> >  some
> > alternatives I see as more viable are:
> > - 1 package, but two menu items,
> these would be menu items in what? The startup of the executable
> denemo.exe is already in a poor state (as you can see if you try
> --version), it will require some work to do anything with it. But
> perhaps that will be the only way.

Indeed I had noticed --version... funny.

A horrible temporary workaround could be the creation of a 10 lines
wrapper of the denemo executable which checks with some euristics which
audio drivers are available (is jack running? is pulseaudio running?),
possibly changes the user config files accordingly, starts denemo and
undoes changes at exit.

I could to something like that even at packaging level, but currently it
would be a quite low priority thing for me (one step lower than
university...).

> >  one using a particular command line
> > argument which enables jack (and which I assume it wouldn't be hard to
> > provide)
> > - some quick tests at startup "is jack running? if yes, use it. If not:
> > is pulseaudio running? if yes, use it". Though I admit I ignore the kind
> > of complexity this may bring in the code, I think it may be a fairly
> > portable approach (if you're on Windows, pulseaudio will simply not be
> > running...)
> >
> > Still, in my opinion, the current situation is not terrible, I will just
> > change the default.
> ?? can that be done at packaging stage? (That is, you will build the
> executable with jack and fluidsynth enabled and then get it to start
> doing output to fluidsynth by default, ignoring jack???)

Uhm... well, that's what is happening now, though I admit I totally
ignore the details.

The package I will soon push to debian, compiled with all default
options, patched only to change the default audio driver and midi/audio
output (see attachment), runs by default with portaudio and pulseaudio;
then, if the user runs jackd and selects "jack" as audio driver (and
restarts), it uses jack.

(did I understand and/or answer to your question?)

Speaking of: jack driver works great for me with fluidsynth, but not at
all with portaudio.

Pietro