Re: [Denemo-devel] RefreshDisplay and MIDI playback controls

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] RefreshDisplay and MIDI playback controls
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:51:04 -0600

On Feb 19, 2010, at 8:11 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 07:59 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

Mma creates midi files. I don't know of anyother way unless we
rewrote
mma in guile. It seems easier to just import the midi file.

This sounds quite interesting - even to me!

You could use it to autogenerate a basso continuo part.

It could be that you could
write a back-end to it that instead of emitting MIDI

It already emitts MIDI.

emitted a script
that would generate the denemo file needed.

I will look into this idea and see how much more/less work it would take.

This could be easier than a
backend that generating denemo's xml. (Basically where the MIDI would
start a new track you would print (d-AddAfter) and for each note
(d-Dur<n>) etc).

I was actually creating an "import strategy" for midi that appended the parts onto new tracks rather then replaced the score. In the next release importmidi is going to require some sort of GUI anyway. The GUI is going to allow for changing the quantization settings and import strategy.

However - I would guess mma will be adding lots of humanization to its
MIDI - something that is scarcely underway in Denemo.

True. But the parts can also be printed and then handed to real musicians.