Re: [Denemo-devel] Re: denemo and GPLv3

From: Pietro Battiston
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Re: denemo and GPLv3
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 09:06:33 +0200

I'm in a hurry, but two comments:

Il giorno gio, 06/05/2010 alle 00.21 +0200, Nils Gey ha scritto:
> I'm doing investigations again.
> This is still not about the content or meaning of the gpl3 but about the
> procedure itself:
>
> -Very important is the string in GPL2 "any later version".
>
> -GPL3 and GPL2 are incompatible. If there is a gpl2-lib Denemo uses which
> does NOT use the "any later version" clause then we can't use it if we are
> going to use GPL3. This is the technically most critical point and needs to
> be cleared first. I am _not_ fully against a GPL3 switch but I find it very
> important to check if GPL3 is still compatible with our current dependencies.
>
> -If it turns out that Denemo was indeed historically released as "GPLv2 or
> any later version" then we don't need to ask anybody because its only a name
> change. If "later versions" is not the case all copyright holders need to be
> asked for permission because its a switch to an incompatible(!) license.
>
> -A quick crawl through all Denemo files did reveal that the "COPYING" file
> seems to be the template version. This is a bad thing because it is not clear
> if we use "any later version" or not, because its still there in its
> suggestion/template form:
> "[...] (at your option) any later version.[...]"

As far as I know (only from my debian packaging habits), this is totally
normal, since that is not a "template version", it's just the license
text. I guess nobody would have or want to modify it, ever. That's why,
for instance, in Debian we don't install your "COPYING" file, but refer
to a single copy of the GPL 2 always present in the system.

And, you're right, that single file doesn't specify if denemo chose GPL
2 or 2+.

That's why, when I packaged Denemo, I "presented" it as GPL 2: simply
because I didn't have the right to interpret your "silence" as GPL 2+
(thought it was what I expected from a GNU project, this observation is
legally null).

> There seem to be only four source files directly created by denemo which have
> a license header at all, but all these four use the unaltered template
> version, that means no one ever has made the decision to use "any later
> version" or not.
> ./include/denemo/denemo_api.h
> ./include/denemo/denemo_types.h
> ./src/pitchrecog.c
> ./src/lyparser.h

On this point... are you sure? Still as far as I know, the unalterated
is not just a "template", it tells the recipient of the software "hey,
I'm GPL2+" (in the end, that's what GNU license experts suggest people
to adopt). For the sake of completeness, still the Debian copyright file
says:

The files
[...]
* include/denemo/denemo_types.h - general Copyright for Denemo applies
* src/pitchrecog.c - Copyright © 2003 Paul Brossier
are covered by the GPL 2 or later.

(seems like I forgot denemo_api, while lyparser is treated apart)

So from my point of view (which as far as I know is the established
interpretation) the problem is not "are those files GPL 2+?", but "does
the fact that those files are GPL 2+ allow us to infer that implicitly
the others are too?". And if the answer is "no", permission of each
copyright holder will be indeed required.

Now, what is the answer? I don't know. It is almost sure that all
contributors just didn't put a header because they implicitly accepted
Denemo license choice. On the other hand, (very) strict interpretations
of law even suggest that a file with no license header is simply "All
rights reserved" (unless a unique file for the project - in _addition_
to the bare license text - says "all the project, where not otherwise
stated, is released under license xyz"). So, on this point you may want
a really expert advice.

bye

Pietro