Re: [Denemo-devel] Edit Mode

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Edit Mode
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 12:03:00 +0100

On Sat, 2010-05-29 at 14:50 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:

> KP_0, KP_1, KP_2... enter a rhythm-only note of given duration.
> Keypads
> are not universal, so those without would need to set their own
> shortcuts.

In suggesting this I was missing a trick. In fact, we don't need
separate functions for this. And even better, the way around this
improves the interface for those used entering notes via the Insert
mode. When entering in INSERT mode changing the duration is unnerving
because nothing seems to happen - unless you have the NoteAndRestEntry
Toolbar visible you don't see any change.
With my new idea you see a pale note of the duration specified - it is a
pure-rhythm note. When you hit the note name, it becomes the note you
wanted to insert. This is the same sequence of key presses but with
better feedback. Even better, you get to enter the information about the
note in a more natural order if you wish. At present to create a dotted
note you have to set the duration enter the notename and then apply the
dot. With the new scheme you can enter the dot immediately with the
duration followed by the note name.

I think with this, we get to the goal of a slick non-modal Denemo at
last.