[Denemo-devel] Rests in voices: wrong position

From: Nils Gey
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Rests in voices: wrong position
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 01:02:42 +0200

Hello to Toronto!

Thank you for your Denemo-Usage. Please continue to report or ask anything you
like or dislike about Denemo.

(00:29) ( Uli_0_8_16_Win) good evening from toronto
(00:30) ( Uli_0_8_16_Win) i have a question about two voice writing on one staff
(00:30) ( Uli_0_8_16_Win) i'd like to write a rest for the "upper" voice, but
it's written below the "lower" voice.  can this be controlled so that the rest
actually appears with the upper voice?

I think you speak about the PDF output here.
This is the only case that matters because Denemos own representation of any
notation-input is not the way it will appear in the final PDF. The rendering
itself is done by Lilypond so ultimately its their job to be "intelligent"
enough to place the rests in a way that different voices can be distinguished
by the reader.

But about your problem: A quick test confirmed your problem. (Other way around,
rest in the lower voice, works). This is a well known case but so far we have
not tested if its Denemo's fault or a Lilypond bug.

In the first case: Voices in Denemo is one of the last "big" things that need
some major fixing in output and handling before a 1.0 release. I personally use
them often and are regulary annoyed :)
The latter case: This is an "upstream" problem of Lilypond and hopefuly will be
reported and fixed. If we or you find out that is it a Lilypond problem I can
personaly send in a bug report.

So for now I sadly can only ask for your patience. If you want to speed up the
process maybe you could provide us with the info, if you like, if Denemo puts
out bad Lilypond-Syntax or if this is default Lilypond behaviour, and if there
is a workaround to produce the correct output directly from within Denemo.

Thank you for your interest!

Greetings,

Nils
http://www.denemo.org