Re: [Denemo-devel] transposing a score

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] transposing a score
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 19:57:28 -0600

On Dec 18, 2010, at 7:00 PM, Ludo Beckers <address@hidden> wrote:

 same question in my head again; shouldn't I first learn "basic" Lilypond (with any simple text editor) before continuing with denemo?

If I was working without denemo I would use vim with lilypond macros. These macros provide keybindings and syntax highlighting. I would render the score with something Like f11. F12 would be to open up the rendered result in evince or xpdf. The PDF reader only be launched once. They both IIRC update when the PDF changes. I would alt-tab between these two applications. You can use f5 or something to play the rendered midi in fluidsynth or ti
Timidity.  In a seperate desktop I have firefox open with the lilypond manual. Several tabs would be open for google searches to answer specific lilypond related questions I may have. I would set fluxbox or gnome to switch desktops with the keybind alt-f1 = vim and PDF reader alt-f2 = firefox with the manuel.

If I had time I would probably try to learn emacs with the rumor plugin so I can enter music via midi keyboard.

Jeremiah

The advice you give me is to alter the Lilypond file, which leaves me nowhere since I don't know Lilypond (yet), so I wonder...

Ludo

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, 2010-12-18 at 21:25 +0100, Ludo Beckers wrote:
> I found in Composer it's possible to CTRL-a select all.
> When I do Transpose, and select e instead of c, the melody is
> transposed alright, but the key signature and chords aren't.
> Key signature is easy enough to change, but what about the chords?

You may be better leaving Denemo with the original key and telling
LilyPond to transpose. I have definitely put octave transpositions in
(Directive->print transpositions...) but any other one could be done
with some modification of one of those. LilyPond *will* transpose chord
symbols automatically.
Richard