Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi shortcuts

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi shortcuts
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 09:02:45 +0100

On Mon, 2011-05-09 at 17:17 +0200, R. Mattes wrote:
> On Mon, 09 May 2011 10:19:57 +0100, Richard Shann wrote
>
> > Yes - I think I understand the general picture you have painted.
> > There would be quite a bit of code to re-work in the C (all the
> > stuff getting scripted commands at runtime, error handling), but we
> > would then be in good shape then to move on to byte-compiled scheme.
> > As, usual, we lack the developer-time :(
> >

> Just to mention it: I've started to write up a draft on hook based
> input handling -

This sounds really great. I should mention that up until recently I did
not consider making a round trip to scheme for every note played on the
MIDI keyboard as the handling of MIDI-in was in a very bad state. The
code still has the response to all note on and off messages routed in C
to actions while other messages call a scheme hook (interpreted
strings ...)
There is a similar story with pc-keyboard in for which I wrote a
proposal
http://denemo.org/index.php/Scheme_hook_for_keyboard_input

It may be that we will need to make scheme hooks for MIDI note events
optional - else playing-in at full speed may not work properly on slower
machines.

Richard