Re: [Denemo-devel] The Denemo font

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The Denemo font
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 09:57:10 +0100

On Sun, 2011-07-24 at 19:58 +0200, R. Mattes wrote:

> Unfortunately I'm about to leave for a concert trip to Italy ...
> Just tuning up the instruments and stuffing my suitcase.
> I'll debug as soon as I'm back.
>
>  RalfD
>
>  Richard
> >

> > > As you can see, I've configured my locale to use utf-8. If your
> locale
> > > isn't utf-aware
> > > Cairo will render the musical characters as two bytes.

Meanwhile, I have been digging a bit deeper. It seems that it is, indeed
the four byte characters that don't show properly. But what shows is a
single box, not two spurious characters. It is like the font didn't have
a glyph for that value, but, I can see from the terminal, most fonts do,
and it doesn't matter which I try.
I have put this message on irc at #cairo

I am having trouble with cairo_show_text() when I have a four byte utf-8
character to display. The program (denemo) uses bind_textdomain_codeset
(PACKAGE, "UTF-8"); in main, and I have the locale set to .utf8 in the
environment, but I only get two byte characters printing from cairo.
Debug output in the terminal renders the 4-byte utf8 correctly. Any
ideas?

but it seems I am also having trouble with my internet connection, so if
anyone else can ask around that would be good.