[Denemo-devel] Music then Rhythm entry method

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Music then Rhythm entry method
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 17:51:56 +0000

The new code for inputting music by playing in the music with a MIDI
keyboard and following up with entering the rhythm is ready for testing.
I have been trying to make a demo video, but on the latest Debian stable
I find that RecordMyDesktop is broken, so I have finally resorted to
pointing a camera at the screen. Unfortunately it has chopped off the
top and bottom, but enough is visible to give an idea:

https://vimeo.com/81814901

I made a couple of fluffs playing in the music - I don't handle this
piano-style keyboard that well - but at least the video shows how easy
it is to cope with spurious notes.
It also shows how useless my code is at trying to guess the actual note
duration from the one you play in. The computed note-lengths show on the
very top above the top staff. There is a key-press to accept this value
if it is right.

This computation of the note-lengths uses the most basic of algorithms;
it would be possible to do much, much better by writing some Scheme code
to peruse the set of durations and decide on the most plausible
explanation. It would also be possible to re-calculate the durations
based on the note durations that the user chooses (e.g. to "learn"
whether the user wants to notate a certain duration as staccato or as
note+rest). If anyone wants to work on that let me know and I will break
out the data to Scheme.

There is also a new way of importing a MIDI file. Here (if it is
computer generated) the guessed durations can be correct and the Return
key is programmed to put them in.

If someone can create a better demo that would be great.