Re: [Denemo-devel] Source directory

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Source directory
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 19:18:06 +0000

On Sat, 2014-03-01 at 14:08 +0100, Éloi Rivard wrote:
> You can see it in the "subdirs" branch if you want.

>         I made a try at home, tell me if there is something you think
>         is not in the right place:
>
>         address@hidden ~/dev/denemo/src]$ ls *
>         Makefile.am  Makefile.in  pathconfig.h
>
>         audio:
>         alsabackend.c  audiointerface.c  dummybackend.h  fluid.c
>         jackbackend.h  midi.c        pitchentry.h  playback.c
>         portaudiobackend.h  portmidibackend.c  portmidiutil.h
>         alsabackend.h  audiointerface.h  eventqueue.c    fluid.h
>         jackutil.c     midi.h        pitchrecog.c  playback.h
>         portaudioutil.c     portmidibackend.h  ringbuffer.c
>         audio.h        dummybackend.c    eventqueue.h    jackbackend.c
>         jackutil.h     pitchentry.c  pitchrecog.h  portaudiobackend.c
>         portaudioutil.h     portmidiutil.c     ringbuffer.h

I think there is a problem here: completely different things are in this
directory. One activity is to do with playing a score back, for which
"audio" is quite a good overall name. The other is getting input from
the user from microphone or MIDI controller, audio_in and midi_in.
I think they both share some queueing software which has been stolen
from the JACK project, and so, rather confusingly, has the name jack_
attached to it, even though it applies to systems that are not using
JACK.
midi.c in particular will present a problem. In part it has stuff to do
with MIDI controller input. And in part it has stuff to do with
playback. It may even have bits used by midi import from file.

>         command:
>         barline.c
>          bookmarks.c

       barline.c and bookmarks.c are obsolete code AFAIK

>           changenotehead.c  chordops.c  commandfuncs.c  contexts.c
>         dynamic.c  fakechord.c  figure.c  graceops.c  keyresponses.c
>         lyric.c  measureops.c  objops.c  scoreops.c  selectops.c
>         staffops.c  tupletops.c
>         barline.h  bookmarks.h  changenotehead.h  chordops.h
>         commandfuncs.h  contexts.h  dynamic.h

dynamic.h and c are obsolete AFAIK

>           fakechord.h  figure.h  graceops.h  keyresponses.h  lyric.h
>         measureops.h  objops.h  scoreops.h  selectops.h  staffops.h
>         tupletops.h
>
>         core:
>         binreloc.c  denemo_types.c  external.h  http.h
>         instrumentname.h

instrumentname.h is a playback thing

>          kbd-custom.c  keyboard.c  keymapio.c

these are to do with keyboard shortcuts, and belong with
keyresponses.c,h I would think

>           main.c              parseinstruments.h
parseinstruments.h is also a playback thing I think - possibly some of
the instrumentname stuff is obsolete, we are getting instrument names
from  the installed soundfont

>          prefops.h  utils.c
>         binreloc.h  external.c      http.c      instrumentname.c
>         instruments.xml

see previous comment

>           kbd-custom.h  keyboard.h  keymapio.h

see above

>           parseinstruments.c  prefops.c           twoints.h  utils.h
>
>         generated:
>         entries.h  register_commands.h  scheme_cb.h  scheme.h
>         xml.fragment
>
>         io:

This name (for Input/Output) would apply to the things listed as "audio"
above, as well as keyresponses.c (which are keyboard input things)

>         audiofile.c  exportabc.c  exportlilypond.c  exportmidi.c
>         exportxml.c  file.c  guidedimportmidi.c  importmidi.c
>         importmusicxml.c  importxml.c  print.c  processstaffname.c

processstaffname.c is some sort of staffops.c I think.

>          screenshot.c  xmldefs.h

xmldefs.h are some utilities for many of the users of the libxml2
library

>         audiofile.h  exportabc.h  exportlilypond.h  exportmidi.h
>         exportxml.h  file.h  guidedimportmidi.h  importmidi.h
>         importmusicxml.h  importxml.h  print.h  processstaffname.h
>         screenshot.h

screenshot.* are to do with capturing source material and storing in a
Denemo score.

>         render:
>         accwidths.h           displayanimation.c  drawbarline.c
>         drawcursor.c     drawfigure.c    drawkey.c      drawnotes.c
>         drawtimesig.c  hairpin.h       notewidths.h  slurs.c
>         calculatepositions.c  displayanimation.h  draw.c
>         drawdynamic.c    draw.h          drawlilydir.c
>         drawselection.c  drawtuplets.c  moveviewport.c  printview.c
>         slurs.h
>         calculatepositions.h  drawaccidentals.c   drawclefs.c
>         drawfakechord.c  drawingprims.h  drawlyric.c    drawstemdir.c
>         hairpin.c      moveviewport.h  printview.h

I am not sure moveviewport.h belongs here - it is controlling the
display widget, not drawing inside it.

>         scripting:
>         lilydirectives.c  lilydirectives.h  scheme-callbacks.c
>         scheme-callbacks.h  scheme-identifiers.c  scheme-identifiers.h
>
>         source:
>         audiocapture.c  audiocapture.h  sourceaudio.c  sourceaudio.h
>         source.c  source.h

pitchrecog.c and some stuff in midi.c belong here

>         ui:

I think you have picked up many of these because they have dialog in
their name. Denemo is a ui, a user-interface, so it is difficult to
exclude things from this directory.

>         clefdialog.c  help.c  kbd-interface.c  keysigdialog.c
>         mousing.c  mwidthdialog.c  palettes.h        palettestorage.h
>         playbackprops.h  scorelayout.c

scorelayout.c (IIRC) is to do with making changes to the LilyPond
typesetting at the structural level (e.g. moving lyrics above staffs
instead of below).

>           scoreprops.c
>                texteditors.c
>           timedialog.c       view.c
>         dialogs.h     help.h  kbd-interface.h  keysigdialog.h
>         mousing.h  palettes.c      palettestorage.c

palettestorage.c is (IIRC) to do with saving the user's palette
preferences

>           playbackprops.c   prefdialog.c     scorelayout.h
>         staffpropdialog.c  texteditors.h  tomeasuredialog.c  view.h

HTH

Richard