Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo User Manual

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo User Manual
Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 15:51:27 +0100

On Thu, 2015-05-07 at 15:53 -0400, Cantor Stuart Binder wrote:
> Richard,
>
> I have been evaluating different ways forward for the documentation, but it
> seems that there are no easy roads. I had a similar experience trying to
> convert the denemomanual.xml file to other formats. It appears that in order
> to get decent results, the conversion will have to be done largely by hand.
>
> I have looked at DocBook, Texinfo and LyX. Docbook and Texinfo are very
> similar (docbook uses XML <tag></tag> pairs for its markup, and texinfo uses
> @tag and @end tag for the same purpose). All three programs provide automatic
> tables of contents (and can generate a subject index as well). All three can
> output documentation in a variety of formats (including HTML). I'm really
> liking LyX, as it provides an editor which will make working on the manual
> MUCH easier. The editor not only generates a table of contents as you go, but
> allows you to use it for navigation while you're working on the document. I
> haven't done extensive testing yet, but the HTML markup it generates looks
> like it will be easier to style than the DocBook output.
>
> I'm going to do some more testing and play with it a bit. Will let you know
> what I find.

I've just installed and tried out LyX - it seems to be the Denemo of the
document typesetting world! A great improvement over what we have. And I
see that it has been around a long time and is actively maintained,
altogether very promising.

I have just been extending the capabilities of the music snippets, and
was about to document them - does it make any difference whether I do
that in the current denemomanual.xml?