[Denemo-devel] [bug #46649] Tarball for Denemo 2.0.0 seems to be broken

From: Tobias Quathamer
Subject: [Denemo-devel] [bug #46649] Tarball for Denemo 2.0.0 seems to be broken
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 11:12:21 +0000

Follow-up Comment #4, bug #46649 (project denemo):

I think I discovered the problem. The macro "AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([tar-pax
foreign])" in configure.ac enables the tar program to use the new file format
"pax", which is an improvement over the old file format of tarballs.

In the old format, filenames are not allowed to be longer than 99 characters,
which is exactly the length at which I saw the filenames being truncated.

Maybe there was a problem with the tar program used to generate the
downloadable tarball (being an old tar, not supporting the pax format) or on
my machine, I don't know.

However, I can now build a tarball with "make dist" which has no corrupted
filenames.

I think this bug can be closed now.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?46649>

  Message sent via/by Savannah