[Denemo-devel] Avast virus checker gives false positive

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Avast virus checker gives false positive
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 09:30:54 +0000

Avast virus checker on Windows is currently flagging the Denemo zip file
as suspicious and will not let it launch.
Someone reported something similar with a Windows virus checker -
perhaps Avast- in that case it was (silently) failing to download.

In this case too, Avast leaves the impression that Denemo is at fault,
it fails to tell the user that it has intervened.

I recommend anyone using Avast to use one of the many competitors.
(Better still, use a free operating system :) )
About Avast's detection mechanism: Apparently one of the libraries we
build has a sequence of bytes in it that randomly matches some virus
signature they have. I did report this to Avast a month ago but they
didn't respond - I think they only take notice if they fear they may be
sued.
Anyway, needless to say there is no virus there, but you have to turn
the checker off to use it.