Re: [Denemo-devel] A new Tooltips scheme

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] A new Tooltips scheme
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 11:31:40 +0100

On Thu, 2016-09-22 at 23:03 +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> What about putting the tooltips in a special area in the main window or
> in a separate window that is always there? Then one would not have the
> problems with the popups.

After trying those possibilities I realized that I could actually get
tool tips to pop up after a user-chosen delay and never popup obscured
by the menus themselves or other windows (and never take up space from
the actual music being entered); what I have done is to use a GtkMenu
widget - trying to use a GtkWindow of type popup didn't work.
Did you try it yet?
It is not difficult to "shake-off" a tooltip that has popped up when not
wanted with a shake of the mouse (into and out of the tip) or a click. I
would have preferred to mimic Gtk's tooltip behavior (apart of course
from the manic aspect) but I didn't manage that. This interaction is
better in some ways - the Gtk tooltip cannot be dismissed as long as
your mouse pointer remains on the widget it popped up for... that means
you cannot go on looking at the other things in the menu without moving
the cursor on to them, and then, of course, you may get another tooltip
popping up before you've finished reading. With the Denemo behavior you
can dismiss the tooltip and carry on reading down the list with no
danger of further tooltips until you move the pointer to a fresh widget.

Richard