Re: [Denemo-devel] Problem

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Problem
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 16:55:25 +0000

On Thu, 2017-03-02 at 15:07 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-03-02 at 11:59 +0000, John Pye wrote:
> > Dear Denemo,
> >
> > Firstly I must apologise because I have looked through the manual,
> > tried several things and still can’t solve my problem. It is
> probably
> > simple, but as a novice I can’t find a solution, so I will be very
> > grateful if you can help.
> >
> > I have produced a simple score of about 50 bars, just for saxophone.
> > When I click on print preview, some lines may have 8 bars in while
> > others may only have 2. There are two lines of bars which extend to
> > the side of the page,
>
> running off the right hand edge is described in the manual actually

I didn't have time to look it up earlier but it's at
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=denemo.git;a=blob_plain;f=docs/denemo-manual.html;hb=HEAD#toc-Section-2

the relevant bit is this:

19.2 Barlines

The important thing to know about barlines in Denemo is that they are
not just graphical marks on paper - e.g. you cannot put a repeat end
barline followed by a repeat start barline and expect both to print -
instead you must use a repeat-end-start barline. This is because you are
telling Denemo about the music, not about how to draw it - the
repeat-end-start barline is drawn completely differently if it occurs at
the end of a line, for instance.
Another useful thing to understand is that the “barlines” that appear in
the Denemo display are not really barlines at all, just a convenient
breaking up of the music into “chunks”. Normally, of course, you will
use one chunk per measure so they will correspond with the typeset
barlines.
There is a relationship between line/page breaks and barlines: you
cannot have line/page breaks at any point in the music, there must be a
barline there. However this can be a “hidden” barline, so that option is
in the menu too.
One curious consequence of this is what happens if you contrive to input
notes that are timed so that a note is always playing at every barline;
normally you use tied notes for this, but if (by mistake) you leave one
bar short in duration you can find that none of the following typeset
bars start with a note, and the result is that the line cannot be broken
- it extends off the right hand side of the page.