[Denemo-devel] For those without a MIDI keyboard ...

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] For those without a MIDI keyboard ...
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 16:44:24 +0100

Dear All,

Denemo has just acquired a command to put the PC keyboard into a MIDI
keyboard simulator mode. The idea is to use two rows of the normal pc
keyboard as the white and black keys on a piano keyboard. In the
attached image I stuck bits of black and white paper to the keys to give
the idea of the layout.

Then invoking Input->PC Keyboard->Midi Simulation
those keys become simulate an octave and a half from middle C.
Everything the MIDI keyboard does, this does too - after entering the
rhythm you can immediately start entering pitches and the cursor finds
the start of the rhythm notes (in brown). From tomorrow's build chord
entry is possible as well. There is no pedal but the Tab key starts
entering a chord and a further press of the Tab key ends it. Escape
finishes the simulation mode.

While in this mode other keyboard shortcuts continue to work - only
those two rows(*) and Esc are stolen, so you could delete or move with
the arrows add slurs etc (and, of course, enter the rhythms on the
Numeric Keypad, which would be the main purpose of pretending you had a
MIDI keyboard).

My bits of paper stuck on the keys doesn't give a good illusion, but I
found that not looking at the keyboard I could play on it surprisingly
well. There are transparent covers for keyboards, intended for
preventing spilling coffee into the keys (search for
Universal Silicone Keyboard Protector Skin - they sell for about a
dollar/euro/pound on ebay). It may be one could be flipped over the
keyboard and by coloring with white and black patches a good impression
of a keyboard obtained.

I won't have much reason to use this myself, but I think something like
this has been asked for a few times in the past, so do try it out if you
need it, and give any feedback, ideas etc via the mailing list.

Richard

(*) well not quite the whole of the two rows, where accidentals are
missing between e and f, b and c, there are keys that still retain their
original purpose.