Re: [Denemo-devel] note split and spill across measures

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] note split and spill across measures
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2018 09:35:18 +0100

On Thu, 2018-04-05 at 21:06 -0400, Bric wrote:
> In my newest install, if you type a note that makes the total typed
> duration in a measure exceed the measure length, denemo splits and
> spills the note to the next measure. (And also creates a tie between
> the split parts, across the bar mark)
>
> While this is a cool and nifty thing when you want it (truly it is!),
> it's the opposite when you don't, creating LOTS of deletion tedium
> (yeah - i am spoiled because my expectation for denemo input speed is
> high, because it mostly meets it).
>
> I seem to remember a different mode years ago, where the behavior was
> simply highlighting the measure red, due to excess duration.
>
> The latter behavior allows one to reduce the duration speedily and
> move on, without the lost time on deletion and untying.
>
> There are some compositions that i type up where the unwanted split &
> spill happens a LOT...

Edit->Change Preferences-->Command Behavior->Spill notes over into next
measure

> IDEALLY i'd want to be able to switch between behaviors, and (greedy
> me) even have a key shortcut that causes a ONE-TIME switch to the
> alternative.

I think that may be possible too, there is a procedure (in Scheme) to
alter the value of such things (I think), so a command running a script
toggling the value would be possible, and then a keypress to activate
it ... worth a bug report.