Re: [Denemo-devel] microtonal accidentals

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] microtonal accidentals
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2018 16:41:18 +0100

On Sun, 2018-04-08 at 09:04 -0400, Freeman Gilmore wrote:
> Off topic:  Does Denemo use the fonts Fata and Bravura; if so, do
> they use the same Unicode?   I suspect that the microtonal
> accidentals use a mix of Unicode glyphs from different sections of
> the code.

I presume you are not really trying to find out what fonts Denemo uses
but what LilyPond uses, because (I hope) you are mainly interested in
what the final typesetting will look like. Denemo has a font of its own
for displaying things to the user, these are designed to make it clear
what is on the screen. Denemo also uses LilyPond's fonts for glyphs it
doesn't have specialized versions of - such as that sharp sign with one
vertical and three diagonal slashes. But you could invoke any other
font if you wished (someone did that for the dynamics indications f,
ff, mp, ppp etc though quite why I've never been sure). You can also
tell LilyPond to use alternative fonts, but for information on that you
would need to look at the LilyPond documentation.

But so far you haven't indicated that you have tested out LilyPond's
capabilities for generating the sort of microtonal notation you want to
see - it would seem there are many notations in use, so you will want
to be sure that LilyPond can do what *you* want - I don't suppose you
want to write Turkish music... I just chose that as an example from the
LilyPond docs.