[Denemo-devel] Create Stencil

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Create Stencil
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 19:27:07 +0000

I've created a new command Create Stencil that allows you to provide
your own drawing to replace many of the standard things that LilyPond
draws for you (e.g. Note heads, key signatures ...). The drawing can be
literally a drawing in Encapsulated PostScript but more practically you
can use LilyPond's markup language to create many things you might
need.
This came about because I was transcribing an 18th c. print of a suite
by Monteclair (monty-who? No, I never heard of him either). At one
point the engraver had put some faint lines going up from the dots in a
dotted rhythm (Augmentation Dots to give them their proper name). You
can see them in the second of the png's attached.
Now I knew that I could do something quick and dirty by writing a "|"
character and dragging it to the right place above the dot, but I
fancied the challenge of doing it properly - that is replacing the
stencil for drawing an augmentation dot with my own bit of cooked up
markup. In this way the typesetting would continue to be correct even
if I changed things and the notes were placed differently on the page.
I succeeded in doing this and thought I would create a command to make
it available more generally - for things other than augmentation dots,
so I created the command (in Directives->Typesetter->Change Stencil).
The resultant typeset is shown in the third of the attached png's. I've
used a light gray color to achieve the effect of the print.

Then I encountered another oddity in this piece - a time signature (the
first attached png) so I used my newly hatched command and by scaling
and shifting a "1" and a "2" I got something that looked reasonably
like the original (the fourth png attached).

Some things it makes no sense to try and replace by a drawing (slurs
for example, because they don't have just one position), but if there
are other types of objects that you encounter that you want to re-draw
let me know and I'll add them to the list.

Richard
ps, I have no idea what was meant by the augmentation-dots-with-line-
above, perhaps the engraver was getting tired and dragged his burin up
off the dot three times in a row and so went to bed and finished the
movement in the morning :)