dev-serveez

Re: [dev-serveez] mandelbrot fractal server

From: stefan
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] mandelbrot fractal server
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:18:59 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob wrote:

> > My suggestion now:
> >  * Provide `svz_tcp_nagle()' in `core.c' very likely `svz_tcp_cork()' in
> >    the Serveez API.
> >  * Provide `svz:sock:no-delay' inside Guile if it is a TCP socket.
>
> they should be called the same name. no need to invent a new one.
>
> umh... i am a little bit confused now. TCP_CORK and Nagle are the same
> thing, aren't they ? that's what i read from your mail...
>
> ...but no-delay is something else: there is a TCP_NODELAY socket option as
> well as a TCP_CORK.
>
> serveez should provide manipulation routines. they should be called
> (about) the same name in serveez library as in the guile interface.
>
> ... and call it tcp_cork which seems to be wider known than nagle ...

TCP_NODELAY and TCP_CORK are not explicitely the same.  A least if you
read documentation.  The only mentioned restriction is that you cannot set
both together.

Now we have:

 Serveez API
 * svz_tcp_cork() -- set/unset TCP_CORK
 * svz_tcp_nodelay() -- set/unset TCP_NODELAY

 Guile API
 * svz:sock:no-delay -- set/get/unset TCP_NODELAY

BTW: The de-nagled Guile sockets work much faster.  At least my laptop's
cpu is completely eaten now.  I think we caught the reason for the
previous behaviour.  Please correct me if you experience differences on
your machine.

Cheers,
        address@hidden