dev-serveez

Re: [dev-serveez] first commit! HACKING

From: Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] first commit! HACKING
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 21:45:43 +0100

Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

Hi!

Cool, looks like savannah is behaving as expected:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/serveez.git/commit/?h=next&id=68184295f

Nice! Thanks a bunch!

Some questions:

- The file HACKING incorporates and obsoletes TODO and RELEASE, so i will
  delete those files soon (and patching references).  Any objections?

Just go ahead.

- The "next" section in HACKING corresponds with the ‘next’ branch just
  created in the repo.  I composed it w/ an eye towards a small point
  release (0.1.8) in the next month or so, but am open to changes in its
  scope or contents.  Any ideas?  (See also "other stuff to do".)

That will be fine. We need a timely release to reflect the licensing change.

- Under "coding standards" in HACKING, i describe several practices for
  Serveez maintenance that i intend to follow, some of which are new to
  Serveez.  Before i go ahead full-speed and start hacking in that
  manner, i'd like to either get a thumbs up from everyone, or
  participate in some discussion (w/ eventual amendment of HACKING, if
  need be), on those practices.  In particular, i know whitespace changes
  can be controversial; i don't want to step on any toes effecting them.
  What do people think?

Since you are the only developer by now, you have the freedom of choice. Just go ahead. If you provided some emacs customization code that selects the right kind of indentation/tabbing/formatting - that would be terrific. (something like "put this into you .[x]emacs/custom.el" or something)

By the way: Greetings from Stefan and Martin. Both are happy that there is a new developer. Both are happy for the GPLv3+ change. Both don't have time to contribute something substantial :)

In the meantime, here are the uncontroversial (i hope) changes i plan to
do in the immediate future:

- [maint] Remove CVS $Id$ et al; nfc.
- [maint] Update FSF street address in copyright notices; nfc.
- [maint] Replace all .cvsignore files with top-level .gitignore; nfc.
- Move to GPLv3+.

Go Go Go :)

Let me know if i am missing anything.

I have a question: You intend to remove autogenerated files from git repo. We had them in CVS so that people wouldn't need all those autotools-stuff installed just to build a nightly CVS tarball. I don't know if you are referring to other autogenerated files. Also, I'm completely out of C coding - so I might be missing everything :)

Furthermore: I would very much like to see IPv6 support a little up in the TODO list. This is something serveez needs and should provide. But again, I'm dead weight when it comes to providing code :)

And finally: Eliminating the resolving coserver would be sooo good. Back in the day there was "libadns" or something as the only option for non-blocking name resolution. Don't know about nowadays.

Thanks for Hacking,
        Raimund