devel-panorama

preservative meditation

From: Maurice Schneider
Subject: preservative meditation
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 16:44:08 +0200

It was the beginning of theshort winter, when Upper Burma seemed haunted by the ghost ofEngland. And he hadthought of a counterstroke already. His narrow,yellow, Arabian face expressed neither comprehension nor curiosity. The servants came crowding round him, a ring of kindly brown faces,offering presents. You treat me as though I werea prostitute. The smoke of hispipe floated straight upwards in still plumes. One dog had taken a dislike to Florys house, and hadsettled down to bay at it systematically. But Flory had lived downMonkey-bum in time. It is good, most holy one, chorused the prisoners. Oh God, God, whatto do with the rest of this bloody evening? He wouldforget Burma, the horrible country that had come near ruining him. Flory shouted, taking Flo by the collarto prevent her running away. Shoals of silvery mahseer, no bigger than sardines, camenosing and nibbling at his body. He had lived in a chummery with four other youths whodevoted their entire energies to debauchery. The smoke of hispipe floated straight upwards in still plumes. It wasa scent that always made his teeth tingle. Thats the way to put em intheir place, eh? Come here, if you please, O venerable and learned sir! Itgives one a deeper sense of sin than a thousand lecheries. Flory got out of the water, put on his clothes and recrossed thestream. Feeling better after the gin, heshaved himself. Sometimes she had even put love-philtres in his food. Something quite ordinary, quiteaccording to precedent; but still dingy, cowardly, dishonouring. There was a libellous article in it, attacking MrMacgregor. Why is master always so angry with me when he has madelove to me? He had not the nerve to fire it in cold blood. Thejungle was dried-up and lifeless at this time of year. He was veryyoung then, young enough for hero-worship, and he had friends amongthe men in his firm.