dfey-nw-discuss

Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Girl Geek Afternoon Tea - Sunday 6/12 @ Madlab Man

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Girl Geek Afternoon Tea - Sunday 6/12 @ Madlab Manchester
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:15:56 +0000

Paul Sutton wrote:
> I wish there were more dfey members here in the SW so we could organise
> similar events.  I contacted the source (youth online magazine thing),
> got no reply,  from first or follow up e-mail.
> http://www.ukyouth.org/whatwedo/publications/#the%20Source has a link to
> it. I just used the contact details at the back.
>
> Not sure if its because I am not a young person, or if they just totally
> ignore people if its the latter, no wonder young people get
> dis-illusioned with these services aimed at them.
>
> I have contacted several other places to try and promote us,  its hard
> going.  Catch 22, need young people to help promote dfey here,  but need
> to reach out first.

Yup. You got it there.

One of the things that's recently been pointed out to me is that
actually a clever thing to do is hold events in places that young people
frequently are.

Up in Manchester we have the Contact Theatre. Essentially, they are all
about new and cutting edge theatre and young people. Not very technical
you might think? Well it turns out that the people behind it are
extremely interested in collaboration between techies and the arts and
would love us to run events there.

As it is in a space where already quite a lot of young people hang about
then there are already some people there.

> Looking at this
> The four key elements for the new service as described in Youth Matters are:
>
>     * Empowering young people ? ensuring they are engaged in shaping the
> services they receive and providing more things to do, places to go and
> someone to talk to.
>     * Making a contribution ? encouraging more young people to volunteer
> and become involved in their communities.
>     * Supporting Choices ? providing better information, advice and
> guidance to help young people make more informed choices.
>     * Reforming targeted support ? providing better and more
> personalised intensive support for those young people with the greatest
> need.
>
> I think dfey seems to cover most of these,  certainly the first 2 the
> second would perhaps cover getting involved with dfey, local lugs etc,
> and open source projects,  and the community generally. Perhaps number 3
> if you want to give people informed choices on software and electronic
> freedom.  the latter one could be if people can be

Yeah, I'd agree there.