diffutils-devel

Re: [Diffutils-devel] diffutils-3.6.17-d5ba on HP-UX

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: [Diffutils-devel] diffutils-3.6.17-d5ba on HP-UX
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 21:18:58 -0800

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 2:48 PM Bruno Haible <address@hidden> wrote:
> > please send me the logs of the remaining failures?
>
> The other consistently failing test is 'new-file'.
> Find attached the log file.
> As far as I understand, the fix should probably be to get rid of the '<&-'
> syntax.

Thanks, Bruno.
Unfortunately, that would reduce test coverage: of the case in which
diff's stdin happens to be closed. As you know, we try hard not to
dumb-down tests to accommodate inadequate test environments.

Hence, I'd prefer to cause this test to be skipped with whatever shell
happens to be used on that system. Would you please tell me two
things:
- which shell was used in that test
- what does this print: PATH_TO_THAT_BAD_SHELL -c "eval ': <&-'"; echo $?

An alternative is to add a test for support of that syntax to gnulib's
init.sh -- that might be better, since it would make the testing
framework attempt to find a better shell on that system, at the cost
of rejecting shells that would work for most other tests.