Re: [Directory-discuss] GNU packages and the Free Software Directory

From: Gerald Pfeifer
Subject: Re: [Directory-discuss] GNU packages and the Free Software Directory
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 22:25:50 +0800 (CIT)

Karl, Andrew,

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011, Karl Berry wrote:
> It would be good to update the entries for GNU packages with current
> information.  Andrew Engelbrecht, an FSF intern working on the
> Directory, set up this page listing the bulk of GNU packages:
> http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/FSD:GNU
>
> If you could look for your package and submit updated information, that
> would be great.  If you want access to edit+commit your entry, please
> email address@hidden

I don't want edit+commit at this point, already too many hats, but there
are some changes I'd like to see at http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/GCC :

 - Can you replace ANSI C by ISO C, please?  That is what matters to
   the majority of countries (basically all but one). ;-)

 - I suggest you remove the reference to K&R C, that is really obsolete.

 - As for the download, can you please refer to GCC 4.6.2,
   http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-4.6.2/ ? instead of the old GCC 4.5.0?

 - The description refers to the frontends supported by GCC.  A key,
   if not the, differentiator of GCC is support for a huge number of
   backends and operating systems.  Can you bake in a reference to
   http://gcc.gnu.org/backends.html or
   http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html to demonstrate that?

Thanks,
Gerald