Re: [directory-discuss] new member

From: Joshua Gay
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] new member
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 12:19:20 -0500

On second thought, I mine as well share next steps with the entire list
-- who knows, maybe it will be informative.

## Next steps

### Getting privileges

Let me know your user name and I can give you administrative privileges
which will allow you to edit any page on the site.

### Documentation: workflow and requirements

Two documentation pages that you should skim over are:

* <http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Workflow>
* <http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Requirements>

Both of them will make a bit more sense when you start editing and
adding entries, so don't let them bog you down too much. Our
documentation is definitely a work and progress and needs improvement.

### Adding your first entry

Let's make your first entry be the one you submitted. After all, it is
probably the project you know best, so it is a good one to start with.
In fact, we would love project maintainers or project contributors to be
the ones who keep their Directory entries up to date.

Now that you can log in with administrative privileges, go to
<http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Form:Entry>, and enter the name of your
project (remember this will also be the name in the URL bar). This will
bring you to a multitab form. Fill in as much as you can and save it. If
you have any questions or confusions along the way, take note of them,
but don't let them prevent you from publishing. We can make improvements
and sort out details later on.

### Closing any Review pages or associated bug pages

Once you have published your entry, make sure you go to the Review page
that was generated when you submitted the project and update according
to the instructions at the top of the page. If you don't remember what
the page is, you can use the "Search the Directory" box in the top right
corner of the page.

New submissions to the Directory go into the "Review:" namespace, while
bug submissions go into the "Bug" namespace. When adding or updating a
page, it is good to see if there are any bugs or submissions associated
with the given entry and to resolve or update those pages appropriately.

**Note: in the near future we will be doing away with the Submission and
Bug pages. Updated instructions for the new process will be given when
the new system launches.

## Review process

After you have submitted your project, let us know so that I can review
your entry and give you feedback. If you had any questions or confusions
while filling out your entry, this is a good time to share them with
this list. I can assure you, there are no dumb questions. The Free
Software Directory is far from being a polished and easy to use and
comprehend site.

## Next next-steps

Once you feel comfortable doing the basics, revisit the workflow page
<http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Workflow> to see
a list of various things you can do to help improve the Directory. Most
Fridays we also have an IRC meeting, but you can also find me in #FSF on
freenode, so feel free to drop in and ask questions any time (my
username is jgay). And of course, if you need help on connecting to IRC,
let me know, I'd be happy to help.