Re: [directory-discuss] GNU Radio situation

From: Svetlana Tkachenko
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] GNU Radio situation
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 10:04:58 +1100

Anonymous <address@hidden> wrote:
> Svetlana Tkachenko said:
>
>> I agree that "captchas would not make the content be nonfree." The
>> captchas do not affect our freedoms to copy, edit, and share the
>> content,
>
> Among the "four essential freedoms" published here:
>
>   https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
>
> there is:
>
> "The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom
> 0)"
>
> In a gnu users exercise of this freedom, they encounter this:
>
> ===8<------------------------------
> $
> freedom_hostile_app=http://gnuradio.org/releases/gnuradio/gnuradio-3.7.10.1.tar.gz
> $ http_proxy=127.0.0.1:8118 wget "$freedom_hostile_app"
> --2017-01-21 14:25:16--
> http://gnuradio.org/releases/gnuradio/gnuradio-3.7.10.1.tar.gz
> Resolving gnuradio.org (gnuradio.org)... 104.28.6.113
> Connecting to gnuradio.org (gnuradio.org)|104.28.6.113|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
> 2017-01-21 14:25:17 ERROR 403: Forbidden.
> ===8<------------------------------

You may get a copy at
http://svetlana.nfshost.com/fs/gnuradio-3.7.10.1.tar[1].gz[http://svetlana.nfshost.com/fs/gnuradio-3.7.10.1.tar%5B1%5D.gz],
on my website which hopefully does not run non-free scripts. Were you to
do that, you would have the freedom to copy, edit and share the
documentation contained therein. This makes the documentation free.

The website you linked is configured badly. That fact does not interfere
with your rights in the case of downloading a copy from my website.
Therefore the website misconfiguration does not interfere with the
freedom of GNU Radio documentation. The GNU Radio documentation is still
free.

I will query the GNU Radio webmaster in the next mail.

Svetlana