Re: [directory-discuss] Freedom 0 principles are not license-limited (wa

From: Svetlana Tkachenko
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Freedom 0 principles are not license-limited (was: s/w that requires a middleman..)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 11:02:32 +1100

I apologize if I was over-confident in my previous comments...

Anonymous wrote:
> Svetlana Tkachenko said:
>
>> Dear Adonay Felipe Nogueira,
>>
>> "The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose
>> (freedom 0)." does not include users who do not have access to the
>> program.
>
> Of course it does.

This is wrong...? Read it in full:

"A program is free software if *the* *program's* *users* have the four
essential freedoms:

    The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom
    0)."

This means that if I develop the program in my basement and you need a
secret code to enter, you're not a program user. CloudFlare is an ugly
version of such secret code. In such case, it's a matter of becoming a
program user first before software freedoms apply.