[directory-discuss] Unable to search for GPL packages

From: Greg Rundlett (freephile)
Subject: [directory-discuss] Unable to search for GPL packages
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 15:48:37 -0400

TLDR; Kallithea is a great GPL replacement for GitHub, but you'd be hard-pressed to find that out on directory.fsf.org

With the news of GitHub being bought by Microsoft, I decided to search the directory for alternative git based version control hosting projects (e.g. Kallithea).  Unfortunately, there is no easy (pre-defined) way to do so. Actually, there isn't even help content to guide a user through the use of Special:Browse or Semantic searching using the tagset and ontology implemented at the Directory. Instead 'Help' just links off to the Semantic MediaWiki website for generic information.

What's more, when I went to the Special Page [1] where you can run a query based on license; and I selected all the GPL AGPL options; I get an error that the site doesn't allow that many parameters. [2]

And one last issue. It's almost impossible to see and copy that error message because it's hidden in a tooltip controlled by an onmouseover event. The only thing visible to the user is a tiny icon.

[1] https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Special:RunQuery/Query_license

[2]
The following query condition could not be considered due to this wiki's restrictions on query size or depth: [[License::AGPLv1orlater]]OR [[License::AGPLv3]] OR[[License::AGPLv3 with exception]] OR[[License::AGPLv3orlater]]OR [[License::AGPLv3orlater with exception]] OR[[License::GPL]] OR[[License::GPLv1]] OR[[License::GPLv1orlater]]OR [[License::GPLv2]] OR[[License::GPLv2 with exception]] OR[[License::GPLv2orlater]]OR [[License::GPLv2orlater with exception]] OR[[License::GPLv2orlater with library exception]] OR[[License::GPLv3]] OR[[License::GPLv3 with exception]] OR[[License::GPLv3orlater]]OR [[License::GPLv3orlater with exception]]  .