Re: [directory-discuss] Review/Submitted fields

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Review/Submitted fields
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 15:46:33 +0800

Ian Kelling <address@hidden> writes:

> What you describe "last reviewed" to mean is actually done by a different
> field, license verification date.
>
> The tooltip for "last reviewed" says "Change this date in case you have
> made substantial edits or have updated the version". There are no other
> instructions that I see anywhere. So I think it generally describes what
> that tooltip says. I've clicked it hundreds of times and I'm convinced
> it's more trouble than it's worth.
>
> According to
> https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Requirements, our
> basic requirements are that it's free software, free docs, and runs on
> gnu. So, license verification covers "free". Runs on gnu doesn't
> need a separate field, it's checked on initial review, rarely changes
> and you would often notice if it doesn't when you do a license
> verification.

I'm not so sure people would notice if a program stopped providing a
GNU/Linux version if you were just looking at the license file/info in
the source repository. That does seem like a separate check to me.

I still like the idea of having a "last reviewed" field, that people
update when they feel like they have done more than just update a
version number etc. Maybe the redundant field here is actually "license
verification date" -- that could be folded into the meaning of "last
reviewed", since we shouldn't consider anything having been reviewed if
the license wasn't checked.

> You didn't mention "Submitted by", I assume you agree we can remove that
> from the form.

I think it's useful? We may want to recognize people that have submitted
lots of entries specifically, or if we notice that someone has submitted
an entry that shouldn't have been submitted, we may want to look at the
rest of their entries. "submitted by" is different from "edited by" --
does MW provide a built-in way to find pages created by particular
users?

-john

GPG Key: A462 6CBA FF37 6039 D2D7 5544 97BA 9CE7 61A0 963B
https://status.fsf.org/johns | https://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<https://my.fsf.org/join>.