discuss-gnu-electric

Re: Simulation of inverter

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: Simulation of inverter
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:59:55 -0800

It appears I got ahead of myself, so I am taking a step back and trying to understand some simpler concepts before I go off into EDIF & Verilog never-never land. This morning, I created a simple {lay} facet using the inverter from the MOSIS library in an attempt to duplicate figure 11-11 in Mr. Rubin's book and see if I could write a spice deck. After a shile I actually am able to find that I can put an inverter on the drawing, change technologies to SchematicAnalog and put a few Spice parts such as a DC pulse, load resistor and DC power supply on the drawing. The trick to hooking them up seems to end the wire creation on the Spice part where the terminals on the pulse generator and DC supply are not as obvious as on a resistor.

I can then write a simulator spice deck and see that I have connected everything with a pulse generator to an inverter, a resistor load on the inverter output and a DC voltage source to VDD on the inverter. That is really good.

I was able to change the resistor value by double-clicking on it. I would appreciate some guidance in changing the value of the pulse generator or the DC voltage source as double-clicking doesnt do it and although I can see its value of 0V with info->Attributes->Define, I cannot change it yet.

When you double-click on the DC voltage source, you get the "generalized Getinfo" dialog for nodes. But if you expand that dialog (click "more" to see it in a larger form) then there is a list in the lower half. The list can show connections or Parameters. Select "Parameters" and the parameters of the DC voltage source will appear, able to be selected and modified.

I also would like to name my nets. Electric gives me default net names like net1, net2, net3, etc, but normally, I like to name the nets in a design. I suspect that there is merely some simple command that I have not figured out yet that lets me name the nets in a design.

Double click on any arc on that net and give it a name. That names the net. So does creating an export on any node on that network.

   -Steve