[Discuss-gnuradio] Suggested Book List

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Suggested Book List
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:26:12 -0800

For any of you who may be interested in SDR, but don't know where to
start, I suggest the following books.  These are my favorites from a
practical, autodidactic point of view:

General DSP:

 "Understanding Digital Signal Processing", Richard Lyons.

Written by an engineer who also teaches classes for Bessamer
Associates.  Very accessible.  Cuts to the heart of the matter without
burying you in subscripts.

  "Digital Signal Processing: A Practical Approach", Ifeachor & Jervis.

Also good.

Digital Communications:

  "Digital Communications: Fundamentals & Applications, 2nd ed.",
   Bernard Sklar.

Great textbook.  Covers a lot, very accessible.

  "Digital and Analog Communication Systems, 5th ed.", Leon W. Couch II.

Good overview.  It covers theory and practical aspects for both
analog and digital comms.  The preface describes the book as "a
textbook for junior or senior engineering students and is also
appropriate for an introductory graduate course or as a modern
technical reference for practicing engineers".

  "Digital Communications, 3rd ed", John G. Proakis.

A popular textbook that is a little heavier on theory than the two
above.

  "Digital Signal Processing in Communication Systems", Marvin E. Frerking

The author is an engineer with Rockwell.  The book emphasizes the
application of DSP in real world communications.  I find that the book
doesn't stand alone too well, but provides good backup for the
textbooks above.  He provides lots of examples of real systems, with
emphasis on practical tradeoffs, etc.  You definitely get the idea
that the guy has actually designed and built some things.  Good block
diagrams, worked through examples, etc.

  "Data Communications Principles", Gitlin, Hayes and Weinstein

A more advanced treatment.  It's got good coverage of adaptive
equalization and echo cancellation as well as all the usual stuff.

Eric