[Discuss-gnuradio] Data down the USB Port is something Vladimir Dergache

From: Martin O'Shield
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Data down the USB Port is something Vladimir Dergachev is doing Now!
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 06:44:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hello GNU Radio group,

Message: 2
From: "Matthew Burnham" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Subject: FW: [Discuss-gnuradio] Slashdot Q & A /
Beginning of our FAQ
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 00:25:01 +0100

Naively, I've just had a look to see what RS Components
do in the way of ADCs... and found that there's quite a
few available with sample rates
in the region of 10MSPS for around UKP20 to UKP30 and
some with 20MSPS+ for a little more (around UKP40) for
single units.  Would it not be possible to come up with
a cheap alternative to the Measurement
Computing board? I assume the minimum spec necessary
with an I/F of 5.75MHz is 11.5MSPS?

>>Yes for sure!  Contact David Emory,  address@hidden
He has some ideas as to this!

Just a thought, which I'll look into further, but
wondered if anyone had considered this? I know it could
get 'interesting' designing such
high-speed digital circuits... but I've got a
Wavefinder Digital Radio in front of me which squirts a
considerable amount of data down the USB
port so it can't be THAT difficult. Has anyone else
considered this previously?

>>Yes!  Vladimir Dergachev is the creator of
  SR-1/Software Radio: This is a project to create
  a software radio device that uses USB-2.0 to deliver
  raw data.  Check out the link below:

http://volodya-project.sourceforge.net/SR/SR-1/sr1.php

Perhaps as a starting point some lower-speed stuff
could be done, if we got a lower I/F than the cable TV
tuner, with lower bandwidth, we'd need a
correspondingly lower ADC (maybe even something
reasonably cheap off-the-shelf?) which would allow
those not able/willing to get the Measurement Computing
board to get into wide-band-ish stuff (for examaple, be
able to play two FM stations, provided they were much
closer to each other).

Martin O'Shield
Director of Business Development
www.ItsaWirelessWindyCity.com (soon)