[Discuss-gnuradio] BeginnerQ: Data Types/Domains

From: David Brodrick
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] BeginnerQ: Data Types/Domains
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 12:44:50 +1000

Hi,
  I am considering implementing some VrSigProcs and have a question. For
some of the modules it would be most convenient for the inter-module
data stream to represent data in domains other than the time domain.
Perhaps the data stream may need to contain arbitrary data, accurate
time stamps as an example. Serialised objects as another.

  For instance, at a glance, GrFFTSink seems to perform the FFT and
display the result, whereas, were it possible, it would seem more
general to have a separate FFTSink and SpectrumScope classes.

  What is the best way to approach this with the gnuradio architecture?
Is this done between any existing modules? Does it violate a design
goal? Perhaps I need to 'forget it and whack it all in a megamodule'?

  Clearly I have only familiarised with a small part of the code base.
If my ideas fit with the capabilities of gnuradio I will be looking more
closely over the weekend.

PS- Any docs describing the implementation of a new VrSigProc?

Thanks in advance!
  Dave