Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] >2 Input Sound Cards

From: Dave Emery
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] >2 Input Sound Cards
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 03:18:40 -0500

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 01:52:10PM -0800, Ettus, Matt wrote:
> >   So my interest has really been stimulated by the discussion about
> > sound cards featuring >2 channels. Can anybody suggest a good
> > card with
> > >2 inputs which is supported by the OSS drivers and hence which should
> > work with GNUradio?
>
> The midiman delta 44, 66, and 1010 are supported well by ALSA, as well as by
> the non-free (but cheap) OSS/Linux drivers.  There are no OSS/free drivers
> for them.

        What is the groups recommendation on cards with 192 khz sampling
and at least 80 khz of actual audio bandwidth  that are supported by
OSS/pay or ALSA ?

        And are there any that can be externally triggered/clocked ? I
am thinking in terms of using a time reference derived from say GPS to
clock sampling at a distant site... but in general accurate sample
timing is important for DTOA type interferometric DF ... or for many
other precise demodulation or analysis functions.

        And for those thinking about DTOA, I assume you all realize that
one can buy GPS timing boxes on eBay for around $200-500 removed from
cell sites that will provide 10 mhz with parts in 10^12th accuracy or
better when they see satellites for a while and will supply 1 PPS synced
up with the 10 mhz within 3 ns and within around 40 ns or less of USNO
time of day (plus time of day in RS-232 format if you need that).    So
one can lock a remote site to the same timebase within maybe 40 ns or so
no matter how far away it is.  And the box will of course tell you
exactly how far away it is within a few meters.

--
        Dave Emery N1PRE,  address@hidden  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2  5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18