Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New State laws may impact gnu-radio efforts...

From: ah7i
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New State laws may impact gnu-radio efforts...
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:46:17 -0500 (EST)

As I read it, nefarious intent is required.

i.e. 'build this simple filter and see pay per view for free'
whereas a description of R.F. notch filters and how to build
them would not be considered unlawful.

Plans to build a SDR advertised as a device designed to circumvent
'whatever' would be nefarious. advertised as a SDR suitable for
watching TV, listening to shortwave, etc. would not be.

I don't see how there could be any other interpretation, because
'as the thing is written, the factory that makes the rivets that
hold your peecee case together would be aiding and abetting if
that peecee were used to circumvent DVD copy protection.

Pocket depth will control the civil portion of this.
Samsung sells DVD players that play media from all
markets and that allow one to easily disable macrovision.

The movie industry will come after Samsung long before they come after
the Joe SIxpack who owns the Samsung. The criminal court will need
a complaint and even with that, there is so much stuff out there
in peoples homes that violates the letter of this statute that
a lawer who couldn't discern the handle from the business end of an
enabled soldering iron would get you dismissed before getting to court.

All that said, I think laws like this suck and in the end will suck...
every bit of creativity and initiative out of the population and
turn it into a bunch of mud grubbing FUD filled peons who push
government officials around in rail cars because the knowledge required
to run the engines will have all  moved to other countries.

It's crap lke this that the founders had in mind when incorporating
article 2.

Everyday I find myselfmore in agreement  with the NWA lyric,
F*&^ the police.

The people of Tuvalu believe in global warming and are seeking to
relocate the entire population. It's a small place. Perhaps we could
come up with enough jack to buy them a big chunk of Wyoming and
execute a swap...

-Bob
ah7i