Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Compiling GNU Radio - Debian unstable

From: Guillaume Leclanche
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Compiling GNU Radio - Debian unstable
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:57:04 +0200

Le Vendredi 11 Avril 2003 05:18, vous avez écrit :

> Please let me know which OS and version you're using.
> Try $ uname -a

Linux caligula 2.4.21-pre5 #5 lun avr 7 23:45:16 CEST 2003 i686 unknown
unknown GNU/Linux

Debian unstable (sid)

> > My first trial was to find the right versiion of Qt for the configure
> > test. I tested many, and many combination of dirs, and in the end, it
> > became obvious that QT3 was necessary, because the moc refuses to
> > compile the software if you use QT2 libs.
>
> In my environment it does work under Qt2, so I'm not exactly sure what
> the problem is.   By any chance do you have both Qt2 and Qt3
> installed.  Perhaps configure was picking the wrong version of moc.

Oh yes I understand why. I have both libs installed, but only qt3 includes.
When i tried to use QT2 includes, I downloaded them separately in a
particular directory, but it's likely the moc hadn't changed at all.

> > I had also an error that held me some days wondering what I could do,
> > until I understood that the includes in some GNU Radio Qt files were
> > very old files (Qt1 headers ?). I downloaded the source package of
> > libqt2-dev, and i found inside it a dir names "compat", which was
> > containing every missing file I needed. I copied them inside my
> > /usr/include/qt3, and there I went further :-)
>
> I'll take a look at any old stuff and see if I can figure out what
> needs to be updated.  If you've got any suggestions, I'd be delighted
> to hear about them.

well, you use those includes:

caligula:~/qt-x11-2.3.2/src/compat# ls
qapp.h      qcollect.h  qdstream.h  qfontinf.h  qlcdnum.h   qmsgbox.h
qpaintd.h   qprndlg.h   qradiobt.h  qtablevw.h
qbitarry.h  qcombo.h    qfiledef.h  qfontmet.h  qlined.h    qmultilinedit.h
qpdevmet.h  qprogbar.h  qrangect.h  qtstream.h
qbttngrp.h  qconnect.h  qfiledlg.h  qgrpbox.h   qmenudta.h  qobjcoll.h
qpmcache.h  qprogdlg.h  qscrbar.h   qwidcoll.h
qchkbox.h   qdatetm.h   qfileinf.h  qintcach.h  qmetaobj.h  qobjdefs.h
qpntarry.h  qpsprn.h    qsocknot.h  qwindefs.h
qclipbrd.h  qdrawutl.h  qfontdta.h  qiodev.h    qmlined.h   qpaintdc.h
qpopmenu.h  qpushbt.h   qtabdlg.h

(not every of them, but some of them), they seem to be obsolete (why would
they be in a "compat" directory, then ?).

for example, the qapp.h file contains:

/****************************************************************************
** $Id: qt/src/compat/qapp.h   2.3.2   edited 2001-01-26 $
**
** Compatibility file - should only be included by legacy code.
** It #includes the file which obsoletes this one.
**
** Copyright (C) 1998-2000 Trolltech AS.  All rights reserved.
**  This file is part of the Qt GUI Toolkit.
**
** This file may be distributed under the terms of the Q Public License
** as defined by Trolltech AS of Norway and appearing in the file
** LICENSE.QPL included in the packaging of this file.
**
** Licensees holding valid Qt Professional Edition licenses may use this
** file in accordance with the Qt Professional Edition License Agreement
** provided with the Qt Professional Edition.
**
** See http://www.trolltech.com/pricing.html or email address@hidden
for
** information about the Professional Edition licensing, or see
** http://www.trolltech.com/qpl/ for QPL licensing information.
**
*****************************************************************************/
#ifndef QAPP_H
#define QAPP_H
#include "qapplication.h"
#endif

you can get the full compat directory there:
ftp://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/pool/main/q/qt-x11/qt-x11_2.3.2.orig.tar.gz

GNU Radio should use the new includes, and not the obsolete ones.

> FWIW, the Qt stuff has been a bit of pain to configure.
> Eventually it will be all removed, and all the GUI stuff will be
> accessed through what every GUI tools are available in your scripting
> language of choice.  (I know that that doesn't help your problem
> today...)

I will try to compile it using the QT2 libs and the moc of version 2, it may
work ... maybe :)

Guillaume.