Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USB2 ADC and DAC discussion

From: Paul J. Zawada
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USB2 ADC and DAC discussion
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:23:52 -0500

At 2:56 PM -0700 6/4/03, Matthew Ettus wrote:

http://comsec.com/wiki?UniversalSoftwareRadioPeripheral

Since the board is only baseband/IF, I am interested in finding people to work
on RF converters for it.  One for the 1200MHz ham band, and one for the 2.4GHz
ISM band would be nice for starters.  If you are interested in working on such
a project, let me know, and I can get you all the info you will need.

Matt and all,

I have just finished putting together a GNU Radio platform including the Microtune tuner using the schematic Eric supplied. It's all working quite well and you can see the results I've obtained (including a few FFTs and DTV captures) at http://ner.ncsa.uiuc.edu/sdr . Now I'm ready to start some real work. :-)

I've been starting to plan to build a 900 MHz (902-928) upconverter/downconverter for use with GNU Radio. I'd thought I might start with a narrow band implementation to use a sound card and work my way up to a broadband implementation for use with a high-speed ADC/DAC solution such as the one you are working on. (I've got the Measurement Computing ADC card, but I'm going to need a DAC solution; so this one may fit the bill!) This will be my first design at 900 MHz (or higher), so it may take me some time to get ramped up and a decent design produced. The intent is to produce a board at to receive and transmit at acceptable power levels for unlicensed use while allowing the ability to add a power "brick" for ham use.

My design hasn't progressed beyond a couple of block diagrams in my engineering notebook, but now that I've got the Microtune implementation built and operating I can concentrate more on designing new hardware. (I do still need to familiarize myself with the code too; so I plan on spending some time hacking on some software as well...)

--zawada

--
Paul J. Zawada, PE       | Principal Network Research Engineer
address@hidden          | National Center for Supercomputing Applications