Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] signal decoding

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] signal decoding
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 12:20:38 -0700

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 11:15:33PM -0400, Justin Zygmont wrote:

> i'm suprised that no one has ever expressed an interest in decoding RF
> signals.

Uhh, not sure what you mean by that.  We don't attack directly at RF
sampling rates, but we do handle "RF signals" that have been converted
to an intermediate frequency that our A/D's can handle.  The FM and
ATSC code does this.

> I was wondering how hard it would be to decode a .wav recording
> of, say a GPRS signal to high level data.  Is it as simple as writing a
> module of code to build that kind of functionality into gnuradio?

The first job is to get samples of the GPRS signal.
>From there, it's "a simple matter of programming"...

This would be a fairly big project, but is doable within the GNU Radio
framework.   GPRS has a fairly large protocol stack, so there's a lot
to implment.  I think you can get the specs at etsi.org.

I believe the folks at Vanu are handling a single GSM channel in about
6% of a GHz pentium laptop, so the problem isn't one of lack of mips.

Eric