Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Topology

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Topology
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 08:33:36 -0700

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 08:56:40AM -0600, Joseph DiVerdi wrote:
> At 12:00 AM -0700 7/30/2003, Eric Blossom wrote:
> Dear Eric,
>
> Could you please provide some sense of how this impending change to
> Python will impact those of us who are currently working with GR,
> especially to those writing and/or modifying internal functions. For
> example (but not exclusively), is the plan to replace all the C++
> code with Python code?
>
> Best regards,
> Joseph

Not to worry!

The bottom layer primitives (subclass VrSigProc) will remain the same,
and will retain the same interface.

There is no plan to break anything, though I think folks will find
that using Python to glue the signal processing primitives together is
much, much easier than working in C++.  Plus you get the benefit of
instant gratification ;-) The plan also includes using wxPython as the
GUI toolkit of choice.  There will be a much improved replacement for
GrFFTSink and GrSimpleScopeSink available to python code.

All of these changes should also improve the portability of GNU Radio
to non-Unix like platforms.

Eric