Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Success (kinda)

From: Alan Gray
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Success (kinda)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:47:33 +1000

This is starting to get more than a little frustrating, there go my two theories as to why things aren't working as they should. I've been experimenting for the past two days, and I've found a lot of things that aren't wrong, but not the thing that is:

The RF front end is working as expected. I fed the output IF into an AOR5000 receiver and could listen to FM radio fine at 36MHz and change the station and gain through the PC

The way I've written the ADC interface doesn't seem to be the influencing factor, I used a function supplied with the card to write a bunch of samples to file then ran the file through adc_fft and it looked the same as what I'm getting through the GNU radio interface.

I guess this is indicating that there is a problem somewhere in the software side of things, however I can read in a file of sample data and process it with no problems, so I'm not sure where I should start looking. My initial thought was that possibly Australian FM is in some way different to US FM, however this does not seem to be the case (though I haven't been able to find comprehensive standards for either case, so I may be missing something)

I've attached a few screen shots of the output I'm getting out of fm_demod1.
music.png and music2.png show the output when music is being received
no_signal.png shows the output when there is no sound (between speech etc)

In all cases, it appears that I have a reasonable lock onto the carrier frequency, as there seems to be a nice spike at about 19kHz. The 80 kHz wide complex down converted channel I'm a little concerned about, as this had nowhere near that magnitude of that in the only screenshot I could find of this online, I don't know how current that is though. In the audio output fft's you can see that I seem to be picking up a lot more signal at the low end than at the high end, and that the fft drop dramatically at about 15kHz, which is probably not a good thing.

If anyone has ANY ideas about where I could look to find my issue, it would be most appreciated

Alan